Top 5 Best Angle Grinders (2020 Reviews & Buying Guide)
If you own a garage or workshop then you probably know that you cannot do a lot without an angle grinder in your tool box. These are powerful, efficient and versatile tools that make life of a handyman easier.
This one tool can actually serve so many different purposes that once you own it you will wonder how you ever managed to do without it.
Having an angle grinder at home can actually help you take care of various things such as leveling out an uneven floor, cutting metal or sharpening blades for domestic and commercial use.
If you own a car that is more than five years old then you would know that it always needs some repair work, and having a handy power tool can help you do the fixes yourself. So, you get the liberty to brag at office on a Monday morning about how you fixed your car over the weekend!
Now, if you are planning to buy an angle grinder then we would suggest that you spend some time studying the market and gathering information about the various angle grinders available.
Making an informed purchase and investing in a good quality angle grinder will ensure that you have no regrets later on. The two main factors you would need to take care of when buying an angle grinder is the brand and value for money.
Choosing a trusted manufacturer of tools will make sure that their products will stand the tests of time. Some of the most popular brands available are DeWalt, Makita, Porter-Cable and Bosch.
Table of Contents
- What is An Angle Grinder?
- What is An Angle Grinder Used For?
- List of 5 Best Angle Grinders Reviews in 2020
- Things to Consider Before Buying an Angle Grinder
- Final Verdict
What is An Angle Grinder?
An angle grinder, often referred to as a side or disc grinder, is an indispensable and versatile power tool you can use for a variety of jobs. It can be used for grinding, polishing and cutting different types of metals and concrete materials. They may either be powered by an electric motor, compressed air or petrol engine.
The motor has a geared head in a right-angle position, mounted on an abrasive disc or thinner disc, hence the name. The discs can be easily replaced when they are worn out.
They also include an easily adjustable guard and side-handle for easy operation. There are some special types of angle grinders that can be used as sanders, and for this you need a special sanding disc with a backing disc.
The pneumatic grinders are mostly used for simple domestic jobs meant for home improvement and for this you need high level of precision.
These types of grinders are light and small, yet they are powerful as they do not have any heavy copper motor windings. The electric grinders are mostly used for the heavy duty commercial jobs for their super power and speed.
What is An Angle Grinder Used For?
Angle grinders are versatile and powerful tools used for cutting metal and stones. They can be used to cut out tiles, sand or polish uneven surfaces and sharpen tools. You can actually do a lot more by simply changing the blades of discs.
When using an angle grinder, you must remember to always wear protective clothing for your safety. The area where you will perform the task should be cleaned properly to avoid any fire breakouts because sparks will be produced while cutting.
If you are still wondering what is an angle grinder used for, then here are some common uses for this indispensible power tool:
Metal Cutting and Grinding
Grinding is the most basic use of an angle grinder and with this tool you can not only grind metals but also stone or concrete. You just need the right wheels or discs to be able to grind different types of materials.
The power tool comes handy to level out surfaces, especially in the construction sites where you may find extra buildup of concrete on walls or floors. It is used by sculptures for fine tuning and giving a smooth finish to their concrete or stone sculptures.
This is one of the amazing uses of angle grinders, and once you see the results you will wonder why you didn’t know about this earlier. You may use wire wheels and brushes for effectively removing paint and rust from metal surfaces.
These types of wheels come in different shapes for performing a variety of tasks such as cleaning, stripping and deburring. They come absolutely handy for cleaning the garden tools by removing stubborn dirt and dried cement.
Cuts through tiles and stones with equal ease
The angle grinders come equipped with a diamond wheel that can be used to cut masonry and ceramic materials with great ease. They work really well for cutting tiles with great level of precision. The small sized discs is highly useful for trimming of tiles or performing tasks at tight places
An angle grinder that comes with a dry cut diamond wheel is capable of cutting through ceramic and masonry with precision. They are useful in trimming tiles with care or operating in the tight spots. It comes handy for cutting in for outlets or plumbing fixtures.
The angle grinder can also be used to sharpen the metal blades, shovels and lawnmower blades. You just need to use the grinding wheel when performing the task and you can see polished and sharp surfaces. You can use the angle grinder to sharpen the blades and restore the edges to their original condition.
The angle grinder can also be used for grinding mortar, and the first task in tuckpointing brick is to remove the old or existing mortar. For this job, the best tool would be an angle grinder with a tuckpointing wheel.
Polishing aluminum surfaces
If you have an aluminum product then getting it back to its original shiny self is no as hard task with the help of an angle grinder. You can start by using a high grit grinding disc and then use the polishing wheel to make the surface extra smooth.
Owning an angle grinder and using it for various types of jobs is a handyman’s dream, however safety should be kept in mind always. Safety comes first and in order to ensure that you stay safe, you must wear gloves and eye protection glasses.
You may also consider using hearing protection as there are several models that produce a lot of noise. If you are looking to cut masonry using the grinder, you must remember to always wear a mask.
Sanding and smoothing
There are several types of sanding and pad attachments that can be used to sand as well as smoothen ferrous and non-ferrous materials like aluminum, copper, steel, aluminum, iron, steel, brass, wood, and fiberglass.
List of 5 Best Angle Grinders Reviews in 2020
You need to also keep your finances in mind and look for a quality product that falls within your budget. We have reviewed some of the best products available in the market to narrow down your search for best angle grinder:
1. Black & Decker BDEG400 6.5-Amp Angle Grinder
The Black & Decker BDEG400 6.5-Amp Angle Grinder is the first product we will review from our list of best angle grinders. This power tool is built by an American company known for manufacturing power tools, hardware, accessories, home improvement products and systems.
The BDEG400 comes handy for performing a wide range of activities such as cutting, sharpening, rust removal and surface preparation.
The BDEG400 comes in a sturdy metal gear that adds durability to it. The grinder features a 3-position side handle which further makes it comfortable to use and control in different angles.
The spindle lock enables users to quickly change the accessories when required. The Black & Decker angle grinder can operate at a speed of 10,000 rpm.
- Ideal for day-to-day cutting and grinding jobs
- The 3-position side handle offers added comfort and enhanced control
- The 6-Amp motor delivers good performance
- Convenient spindle lock to make quick and easy accessory changes
- Robust metal gear makes grinder last for long
- The angle grinder is easy to operate for beginners and it can be used for various DIY projects
- The kit comes with a manual that contains all information related to product and instructions on how to use it safely
- It comes with a 2-year factory warranty so there is nothing to lose
- The 30-days satisfaction guarantee keeps customers on the safe side
- It comes with a comfortable on/off switch to help you work on DIY projects with ease
- There are a plethora of features that make this product good value for money
- Performance wise, this is good for moderate use. You get what you pay for.
- The BDEG400 gets too hot after a point so you need to let it rest and cool down
- It is not a professional grade grinder, meant only for home use. It is not built for heavy duty commercial use.
The Black & Decker BDEG400 6-Amp Angle Grinder does what it is expected to do and you can get things done at an affordable price which is a plus.
The biggest downside is that it can be only used moderately because if you use it for more than 5 minutes for heavy metal cutting, the body of the grinder gets too hot.
Although it is not noisy, there will be lost of debris flying while you cut something with this grinder so ensure you have safety gear on.
2. PORTER-CABLE PC60TPAG Angle Grinder/Cut Off Tool
The state-of-art Porter-Cable PC60TPAG is a small angle grinder built to deliver professional grade performance. It offers a lightweight and compact tool for professionals who need an aggressive and efficient corded power tool to use on the job site.
It is one of the lightest angle grinders available in the market, weighing only 4.1 pounds. The powerful 7 amp motor can deliver up to 11,000 RPM speed which is really impressive and suitable for commercial jobs at worksite.
Porter-Cable PC60TPAG comes with a 3-position handle that adds convenience and ease of use to the product. The convenient paddle switch offers easy automatic control.
It is a perfect tool for welders, fabricators, masons, contractors and tradesmen who perform activities such as metal cutting, grinding, tuck pointing, and polishing.
Taking into account that this tool is used at professional job sites, it comes with a cutting guard and grinding guard that enhance productivity and improve safety.
- Cast metal case for enhanced durability
- Tool free grinding and cutting guards for better adjustment
- Additional accessories for better performance
- It weighs 6.9 pounds and needs electric source of 120 Volts
- The 3 year warranty covers any defects due to faulty materials or workmanship
- One year free service contract
- The angle grinder performs really well and cuts easily through various types of metals.
- The manufacturer has paid attention to the safety part. The guards provide good protection from injury caused by hot sparks or blade breakage
- It comes with a reliable paddle switch that offers good control
- This angle grinder is versatile and powerful. It offers good value for money
- The 7 amps power is pretty strong for various projects
- Ease of use makes it a user friendly tool for beginners as well as professionals
- It does not come with a case although the manual says that there is a case included in the kit
- Replacement of parts may take longer than expected
When you want a professional grade angle grinder that delivers good performance but does not break the bank then the Porter-Cable PC60TPAG is a good choice. The plethora of features and product warranty makes it a sure winner!
3. Dewalt DWE402 Paddle Switch Angle Grinder
The next angle grinder we will review in this list is the DEWALT DWE402 4-1/2-Inch 11-Amp Paddle Switch Angle Grinder. Well, the name says it all because Dewalt is a reputed manufacturer of power tools and hand tools. So, does the Dewalt DWE402 deliver like expected? Let’s find out.
When you take a closer look at the Dewalt DWE402 4-1/2-Inch 11-Amp Paddle Switch Angle Grinder, you know instantly that this beast means serious business. It comes with an advanced next generation 11,000 rpm motor that promise good speed and performance.
The unique ‘Dust Ejection System’ removes the dust and debris particles that get inside the tool to add durability to the product. The oversized brushes are an improvement on the earlier models. The new side handle design gives a good grip and provides extra comfort to the users.
- The 11 Amp AC/DC 11,000 rpm motor delivers good performance
- It comes with a spindle size-5/8″-11 in corded power tool
- The total length of the tool is 12 inches
- It comes with one-touch guard, position side handle and a wrench
- The spindle lock button optimizes the depth of cut
- The Dewalt DWE402 comes with a unique ‘dust ejection system’ that protects the tool from any damage by removing the dirt and debris. This adds durability to the product.
- The auto-off capability of brushes shuts down the tool when brushes need replacement. This helps to avoid any accidental tool damage.
- The new design of side handles boosts the ergonomic quality of the tool. This further adds more years to the product.
- There’s a special gripping surface that helps users gets a good grip when using the tool for cutting or grinding. It adds comfort and convenience while working with the power tool.
- The angle grinder is slightly heavy, weighing about 6 lbs. So, if you are looking for a grinder for light jobs around the house then choose the other lighter alternatives.
- The safety lock switch is placed rather abruptly as it usually gets covered with debris. It usually wears off after sometime.
The Dewalt DWE402 is made in USA and it delivers as promised! The tool is rich with useful features and it is equipped with various protective guards to keep you safe. It comes in a nice sturdy box.
Although it is slightly heavy for beginners, the professionals will find it good enough. Overall, this is a stable, durable and efficient tool. Definitely, a good buy at this price!
4. Makita 9557PBX1 Paddle Switch Cut-Off/Angle Grinder
The next product we review is the Makita 9557PBX1 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder. It comes from a company that takes pride in creating high quality tools since 1915.
Don’t get fooled by the humble external appearance of the grinder because the AC/DC, 7.5A motor is capable of delivering high quality professional-grade performance. It boasts a unique labyrinth construction design which seals the motor to protect it from any kind of contamination.
The 9557NBX comes with a switch that is positioned on the top of the motor and a barrel grip offers comfortable handling. The side handle can be attached to any side of the motor as per the convenience of the user.
The kit also includes grinding wheels, wheel guard, turbo diamond blade, extra diamond wheel and a carry case.
- It boasts a powerful 7.5-Amp motor that can deliver 11,000 rpm
- AC/DC power switch can be used to change power consumption modes
- Tightly wound coils helps to reduce heat and energy loss
- Labyrinth construction of the motor protects it from dust contamination
- Makita offers one year product warranty and a one-month replacement guarantee
- The product comes in a sturdy aluminum box with zinc coated latches and handles. There are cut outs within the case for the tool and separate wheels.
- The tool has plenty of power to get home jobs done and it may even fare well for the heavy duty commercial tasks.
- The kit comes with one stone cutting blade and there are five wheels that come handy for a variety of cutting, grinding and surface leveling tasks.
- The ergonomic design of the tool provides enhanced user comfort and control. The product has been engineered for high grade industrial performance.
- The grinder can be used for longer duration without the tool getting heated up.
- The Makita 9557PBX1 doesn’t feel as smooth as expected at the time of grinding. It is slightly jumpy and makes a lot of noise. For a quality product like this, expectations are usually high.
- The power switch that comes with the tool is too small and it also appears a little flimsy.
The Makita 9557PBX1 is a good product for anyone looking for a quality grinder for small jobs at home and some heavy duty commercial jobs too. It delivers good performance and works at expected. You get what you pay for, may be slightly more!
5. Hitachi G12SR4 6.2-Amp 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder with 5 Abrasive Wheels
The fifth product we review today is the Hitachi G12SR4 Angle Grinder built by a company that enjoys the reputation of market leader for creating high quality power tools.
The G12SR4 comes with 5 powerful grinding wheels to do a variety of jobs and the entire kit comes in a sturdy and beautiful carrying case.
It also includes a wheel guard, spanner wrench, side handle, case, center wheels (5 nos) and so on. The G12SR4 comes with a 6.2 Amp motor that is capable of delivering a powerful performance.
- The 6.2 Amp motor delivers maximum 980W output power for grinding jobs
- It comes with a spindle lock for quick accessory and disc changes
- The trigger lock-on feature allows comfortable and uninterrupted operation
- The overload durability feature adds reliability to tools
- Left-mounted slide switch gives added safety to the product
- The removable side handle provides better control and comfort for users
- The compact and lightweight design of the tool offers enhanced control and maneuverability
- The lightweight of the grinder makes it good for overhead tasks and it is convenient to carry to job sites as well.
- It works well when cutting or grinding. At this price, it delivers impressive power and performance for small home jobs.
- The angle grinder comes with variable speed controls so it is convenient to use the product for different types of jobs.
- The tool is built in a way to automatically shut down when it gets overheated and this feature is really critical for the safety of users.
- The tool gets overheated and shuts down if you use it continuously for about an hour, and you will have to wait until it cools down to be able to use it again. The fan that comes with it is too small and doesn’t help to keep it cool.
The Hitachi G12SR4 scores high for great value and performance. The tool is rich with many features and it is built keeping in mind the safety of users. The variable speed technology makes the tool super versatile for various types of jobs.
We would also rank the tool high in terms of reliability and durability. Overall, this is a great product for home use and light commercial use. However, we would not recommend it for heavy duty jobs as the motor tends to get heated quickly.
Things to Consider Before Buying an Angle Grinder
Whether you are buying an angle grinder for home jobs or commercial purposes, it is important to find that right product that will suit your requirements.
There are several important factors to consider before buying a tool and these are motor power, disc size, rpm, arbor size, and power source to name a few. Here are a few factors to consider:
Size of the grinder
Size is an important factor to consider when buying an angle grinder. The big-sized grinders are good for handling the heavy-duty jobs. The grinder’s size is usually determined by disc and not the length of the machine. The big-sized grinders come with large wheels so they are good for professional-grade jobs.
The small-sized grinders are capable of spinning at a much faster rate hence they are efficient in cutting and polishing metal. You can choose your grinder, big or small, depending upon the type of job you prefer.
The discs also come in a variety of sizes so it is important to choose the right one for your job. The large-sized disc gives more power to the machine and they are suitable for heavy-duty jobs. The grinders with smaller discs are used for jobs that require a lot of precision such as tile cutting.
Motor power and performance
The motor power is determined by the wattage, voltage and amp rating, and these factors widely vary between the grinders. The grinders with high power motor are mostly used for the heavy-duty construction site jobs.
Motor power and speed
The voltage, wattage and amp rating vary between grinders. Many of the people will prefer buying a machine with a power ranging from 110 to 230 volts AC, and the wattage range from 500 to 2500 watts.
The speed with which the disc rotates is also of utmost importance and a typical handheld grinder will give you approximately 5,000 to 10,000 revolutions per minute.
Whether you are looking for an angle grinder to take care of those small house jobs that get neglected due to the lack of a proper tool or you need it for your business use, finding the right angle grinder is important.
We would recommend that you opt for brands that you can trust because companies that have been manufacturing power tools for years are the ones who are above the learning curve.
The high-quality grinders from reputed manufacturers come with added advantages that you would not find in a locally made product.
When buying an angle grinder or any power tool, there are three important things that you must consider and these are ease of use, performance and safety features.
Apart from ease of use and good performance, you must also ensure that the product includes safety features for the operator’s well-being.
When using an angle grinder at home or commercial site, always make sure that you wear protective gear such as helmets, gloves, and eyeglasses to keep yourself safe from any accidental damage caused by flying dust or debris.