Top 7 Best Axe for Chopping Wood (2020 Reviews & Buying Guide)
American life without an axe cannot be imagined. If you are living in an area where the temperature is used to falling too low, you already have a fireplace in your house. A fireplace demands firewood. And fire woods don’t come as it is. It comes as logs. And you need to strip the logs and cut it into smaller pieces to use it in the fireplace.
You also need to store it. Because if the weather gets rough, you can’t go outside to collect fire woods. And if you leave the logs in your yard, it will get wet, making it impossible to get fire. So we see that having an axe is as essential as having a long coat while living in a cold region.
Having said all that, there is a classic question that arises before buying the best axe for chopping wood. When we go to the stores physically, or we browse online for making a purchase we see that everybody is claiming that they are selling the new axe for splitting wood in the market.
But that cannot be true. Because if each one of them is the best, which one is the worst? Isn’t there any? Nonsense! Every one of us knows that it’s all a marketing stunt. So which ones are worth buying? Well, we are here today to inform you about that. Just take the pain to continue reading the following phases of this article to know more about different brands, their key features, buyer review, and more.
Table of Contents
- List of 7 Best AXE for Chopping Wood Reviews
- 1Fiskars 378841-1002 X27 Super (36″) Splitting Axe
- 2Husqvarna 26″ Wooden Multi-Purpose Axe
- 3Gransfors Bruk Hunters Axe
- 4Wilton Tools 50836 8 lb Head – 36″ B.A.S.H Splitting Maul
- 5Mintcraft PRO 34004 Wood Splitting Maul with Fiberglass Handle
- 61844 Helko Werk Germany Vario 2000 Heavy Log Splitter
- 7Fiskars IsoCore Maul
- Things to Consider When Buying AXE for Chopping Woods
- Frequently Asking Questions (FAQ)
List of 7 Best AXE for Chopping Wood Reviews
Here we will put a list of best Axes in the market with numbers. Please remember that those numbers are not the indicator of ‘ultimate best’ or ‘next best’. It’s just a figure of expression. All of the brands presented here are worth a shot.
1Fiskars 378841-1002 X27 Super (36″) Splitting Axe
Fiskars is actually a name of a village in Finland. The company, taking its name from the village it was established, started working in 1649 by holding the hand of Peter Thorwöste. This axe one of the best axe for chopping wood. With the passage of time, the company made great inventions in the field of garden and home tools.
Now headquartered in Helsinki, Finland, the company has continued to make great tools, one of which is their best axe. The Fiskars X27 is 36 inches in length.
This length enables taller people to use it more comfortably. It also gives a good momentum to split a log in half with just one strike. This fiber-bodied axe with low friction surface and ultra-sharp edge are ideal for those who don’t mind to get a sweat.
- Intelligent design: When it’s Friskars, there is no compromise in the design. All of their products are designed so well that you must fall in love with them. The weight distribution of the axe is perfect. It uses an advanced blade geometry. The non-slip grip and vibration absorbing chamber make you able to hold it easily after the strike.
The low friction surface and ultra-sharp edge split the woods in just a single blow. It has an inseparable permathread design with an easy carry and hangs sheath. All in all, this axe is like the mother of all Axes.
- Powerful: The X27 has a fiber handle which is really light in weight. But the head is made out of pure steel. So when you take up the axe in your hand and make a swing for the strike, it gives maximum power to the edge. The weight balance is so advanced that you won’t need a second strike for splitting.
- Unbreakable: The fiber made a handle with vibration absorbing chamber makes it virtually impossible to break the axe.
2Husqvarna 26″ Wooden Multi-Purpose Axe
If you are a conventionalist and think that the good old wooden handled Axes are the best wood splitting axe, this one’s for you. Based in Sweden, Husqvarna has made an all-purpose fell axe. The head is made by forging Swedish axe steel. It is attached to the hickory handle with both wooden and steel wedge. The handle makes it easier for multi-tasking.
- Hand forged: The axe is hand forged in the land of the Gods, Sweden. The Swedish steelhead is capable of chopping and splitting with precision.
- Handle design: The ergonomic design of the handle makes it easier to hold with two hands. And if you have a strong arm, you can even hold it in one.
- Versatility: This lightweight makes it ideal for versatile uses. From tree felling to chopping – this axe works smoothly.
- Safety: This axe comes with a leather cover for the edge to prevent cutting or any other accidental contact with the edge while carrying.
3Gransfors Bruk Hunters Axe
Love hunting? Love to go into the woods and hunt deer, moose, and even bison? If so, then this one is a dire need for you. The hunter’s axe from GranforsBruks is a compact axe explicitly designed to be used while hunting. When you are in the woods, you may face hurdles.
The smaller branches of the tree can create obstacles in your way. Nonetheless, there are bushes. To avert these obstacles, this hunters axe can help you to a great extent.
- Hand forged: This is another hand forged axe from Sweden.
- Flag design: This axe is very well balanced. The medium sized handle gives you the exact velocity in the strike. The design of the handle makes you able to get a good grip even if your palm is wet. It’s made out of Hickory wood.
- Hunting needs: If you are on a hunt, it will help you greatly. Once you have hunted a moose, you may need to have a field dressing. The axe is designed carefully to field dress, dismember, and flay large animals. The Axe has a flay poll just opposite the edge.
The flay poll is rounded and burnished to assist in removing the hide from an animal easily. The flay poll being blunt, it will not slice the meat or hide. You can hold the hide with one hand and use your other to strike between the places where there is the connection of meat with hiding. The blade is designed for chopping through the light bones such as the bridge of the pelvis, and for separating ribs from the sternum.
It can also be used for chopping the ribs of enormous animals such as bison, to open the chest cavity for field dressing. The head and handle are angled to enable strokes that parallel the belly of the carcass. The parallel strokes are better than downward strokes for any of these butchering steps.
4Wilton Tools 50836 8 lb Head – 36″ B.A.S.H Splitting Maul
Even the best splitting axe in the market has a common problem with them. Do you know what? Breaking down of the handle.
If there is a flaw in the handle, or if it is used for so long that it endured thousands of jerks in its lifetime, the handle has a big chance of falling apart in time.
To avoid the handle breakdown, Wilton Tools has invented a technology that will make it impossible to break the handle.
They have brought the best axe for splitting wood in the market with steel handle. The B.A.S.H is made for no breaking, only using.
- Heavy duty axe: When you utter Wilton Tools 50836 8 lb Head – 36″ B.A.S.H Splitting Maul, there’s only one word that comes to mind – ‘heavy duty’. The steel rod in the handle makes it impossible to break.
The splitting maul is forged with high viz drop technology. Its anti-vibe neck absorbs the vibration pretty easily. No slip grip technology is used for a better grip on the handle.
5Mintcraft PRO 34004 Wood Splitting Maul with Fiberglass Handle
If you are looking for the best axe to split woods that would be somewhat durable, this the PRO 34004 Wood Splitting Maul with Fiberglass Handle, will be your best partner.
- Design: Its unique V-shape wing design works as a secondary wedge to assist with easy wood splitting.
The handle is made of double injection fiberglass that offers outstanding strength and durability, as well as overstrike protection.
61844 Helko Werk Germany Vario 2000 Heavy Log Splitter
Here comes to another heavy duty axe. The Heavy Log Splitter from HelkoWerk is made in Wuppertal, Germany. And from our experience, we know that the Germans don’t offer anything usually.
Though the company is based in Germany, the materials of this axe come from different regions. They have accumulated the best materials from places like Germany, USA, and Switzerland.
- Advanced design: The axe handle is lightly lacquered with black-dipped grip. It comes with steel overstrike protector shields to protect you from harmful miss-swings. The curved ergonomic design provides perfect balance and is an efficient shock absorber.
- Durability: The head is made of German C50 high-grade carbon steel that has a 53 to 56 HRC. And in the handle, they used FSC certified Grade ‘A’ American hickory. The handle is made in Switzerland.
- Extra offerings: This heavy duty axe comes with vegetable tanned leather sheath, made in the USA and a bottle of axe-guard.
7Fiskars IsoCore Maul
In at number seven we have another model from Fiskars. The FiskarsIso Core 8 lb Maul, 36 Inch is ideal for splitting woods or driving wedges and stakes.
This powerful maul allows its users to take on intense wood splitting jobs while helping to reduce muscle fatigue and joint pain.
- Design: The optimized blade geometry offers better penetration. The patented IsoCore Shock Control System absorbs strike shock and vibration.
The insulation sleeve captures initial strike shock before it can reach your hand. The concave shape of the Axe is perfect for splitting.
So, those are the best axe for chopping woods. All of the above 7 new Axe for splitting wood is made with amazing quality materials. Besides, the prices of those are quite reasonable. I guess you already set your mind off for the one you needed. However, before opening up your wallet, I advise you to have a look at those buying tips below. Those will help you to make a wise deal.
Things to Consider When Buying AXE for Chopping Woods
Don’t think an axe is a backdated tool. The idea has changed a lot. At present best splitting axe have a verity of shapes, designs, size, and features. Besides, lots of market giants are making the best axe Today. The price range also varies.
So, you should know some certain factors in order to grasp the best one for your money. Let’s see some basic factors at a glance:
Not always a weighty axe is suitable. I mean lots of people advised to get a weighty axe. They believe the much weight it has the more durable it will be. It is certainly true. But if you pick one that has massive weight, can you handle it comfortably? I guess you can’t. What will happen then?
Your accuracy will drop! Not only that your interest in woodworking will lessen. That’s why to pick the best Axe that has weight but not more than your comfort level.
Perfect Handle Length
Longer handles offer more force with swing. No offense. But that doesn’t mean you will just pick one with massive handle randomly. Everybody can’t handle the force a long handle takes during the swing. So, not all are comfortable with long handles. It depends on your preference.
If you can control long handle, then nothing is better than this. But if long handles give discomfort, don’t worry shorter handles are also effective.
When it’s about construction quality, everyone thinks about the materials at first. The blade of the head must be made with highest grade steel or any other strongest materials. Regarding the axe handles there is a lot of verities available in the market.
However, at present fiberglass and wooden handles are most popular. No matter by which materials it is made of the question is about the comfort and balance. The handle must offer amazing balance and comfort. That’s all.
Solid Piece Vs. Multi Piece
Solid Piece axe means you can’t make it apart. Where multi-piece axe comes with axe head and handles, that can apart while needed. Multi-piece axe makes the sharpening task easier. But those can fly accidentally. It can lead you to any danger.
So, I guess it is best to go with a solid piece of axe. Those are but safer. However, it depends on your own preference.
Frequently Asking Questions (FAQ)
What are the best wood axe brands?
Fiskars, Husqvarna, Wilton Tools, Mintcraft, HelkoVario, etc. are considered as the best wood axe brands of the present time. Their Axes are made with highest grade materials for a long lifespan. If you are searching for the best Axe for chopping wood, I advise you to pick one from those above brands.
Does an axe price much?
Not really. The price of an Axe actually varies from brand to brand. But even the best axe for chopping wood doesn’t price much. However, if you need the best axe for chopping wood, you have to spend a bit more. That’s obvious.
Where to purchase an axe for chopping?
You can purchase the best axe for chopping wood from the nearest wood shop or from the online market. But while purchasing from any online shop be careful. Read their policies and terms carefully. Sometimes, they sent damaged products. So you should know what’s the remedy in such case.
We have tried to amass all the necessary information here in one place. So if you are finding the best axe for chopping wood, we hope that this article will help you a lot in the process. However, out there lots of people are making and selling best axe for chopping wood. But not all of those are made with the highest quality. You can easily cheated . As for our products, we examined those in varies process. You can completely trust our products.
In case you don’t like any of our axe from the above collection, you can pick from any other sources. But the source must be trustworthy. We are wrapping up today. If you have anything to query, feel free to state with us. Lots of other effective product reviews and tips are coming soon.